We are sorry that you didn't love this episode
We can improve
How we can do better next time?
SUBSCRIBE ON APPLE PODCASTS
SUBSCRIBE ON SPOTIFY
Podcast Episode Number: #023
Date Published: 07/21/2020
Episode Length: 47:01
Seeing your images where they shouldn't be—like in an advertisement for a doggy day care you've never heard of—can leave you indignant and hungry for justice. You could deliver an angry swarm of bees to the offender's home address. Or, you could calm down, investigate your legal rights, and approach the problem with a professional and strategic response.
Longtime dog photographer Margaret Bryant recommends the latter. In this episode, Margaret explains the difference between copyrights and trademarks, derivative works and fair use, and most importantly, explains how to legally protect your work. We also talk about how to keep on the right side of karma by not unwittingly infringing on other artists' rights.
What To Listen For:
- Why it's important to register your photos—and how to do it
- What to do when someone steals your work (hint: don't send them an invoice!)
- How to legally use music in your own videos and slideshows
- Tips for educating your clients on copyright issues, to avoid problems down the road
If the thought of navigating the copyright registration process makes your head spin, you'll appreciate this short video Margaret made just for you. She breaks down the steps and walks you through how to register your images for maximum legal protection. Build copyright registration into your workflow and you'll rest easier at night, knowing that your intellectual property is as safe as can be in this crazy internet age.
Resources From This Episode:
- How to copyright your photos – a 5-minute video from Margaret
- Margaret Bryant Dog Photography
- Follow Margaret on Instagram
- Dog Photography Bootcamp workshops with Margaret Bryant and Kim Hartz
- Triple Scoop Music
- Animoto photo slideshow app
- Hair of the Dog Academy
- Hair of the Dog Facebook group
Download a PDF transcript for this episode:CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
Resources from this episode: