We are sorry that you didn't love this episode
We can improve
How we can do better next time?
SUBSCRIBE ON APPLE PODCASTS
SUBSCRIBE ON SPOTIFY
Podcast Episode Number: #097
Date Published: 08/24/2021
Episode Length: 43:34
097 – Learning off-camera flash opens up a world of possibilities for your photography. Want images with more depth and dimension? Try off-camera flash. Want the freedom to shoot at 2pm on a sunny day, without your images looking dog-awful? Try off-camera flash!
This week, Elevate and Academy coach Kim Hartz joins me to demystify what is, for many photographers, an intimidating topic. We share the 3 simple steps to using a speedlight or strobe outdoors, discuss modifiers and mental blocks, and—we hope—leave you excited to start playing with off-camera flash.
What To Listen For:
- The low-cost strobe Kim started out with, and what she's using now
- How important is high-speed sync? (It depends on this X factor)
- The lighting setup that saves marriages
- Settings that keep your images from looking “flashy”
- How to MacGyver a light modifier with common kitchen items
And if this episode leaves you hungry for more, you’ll want to join Kim's upcoming Academy Accelerator course: Gaining Confidence with Off-Camera Flash. This four-week class includes weekly calls and homework assignments, so you'll finish the month knowing how to create stunning on-location portraits using off-camera flash.
Resources From This Episode:
- Kim's Academy Accelerator (Starts 9/8—registration now open!)
- Blair Phillips portable light-stand cart
- Hair of the Dog Academy (Doors open 9/2! Get on the waitlist HERE.)
- Hair of the Dog Facebook group
- Hair of the Dog Elevate coaching program
Register to The Pet Photographer's Photoshop Toolbox FREE LIVE TRAINING HERE.
Download a PDF transcript for this episode:CLICK TO DOWNLOAD
Resources from this episode: